Skip to main content

Form 1099

What does a 1099 report? A 1099 is used to report payments made to independent contractors for purchased services, such as choreographers, face painters, petting zoos, DJ’s, etc.  A 1099 is also used to report payments made for rentals, such as equipment rentals. 

The form 1099-MISC is an information return used to help businesses/individuals accurately report their income on their tax returns and provides a mechanism for the IRS to ensure that the income was properly reported.  New for 2020, the 1099-MISC will only be used to report rental payments, and a new form, the 1099-NEC, will actually be used to report “non-employee compensation”, such as what you pay for purchased services.  You will still report both types of payments to the CSB; the CSB will determine which type of form to issue. 

Who does the CSB issue 1099’s to? Per the Internal Revenue Service, the CSB is required to issue 1099s to vendors which are established as Individuals, Sole Proprietors, Single-member Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) and unincorporated Partnerships.  We do not send 1099s to corporations that are designated as S Corporations or C Corporations.  Likewise, we do not send 1099s to LLCs that are treated as S Corporations or C Corporations or Partnerships. 

How do I know what type of business a vendor is? You must obtain a Form W-9 “Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification” from all vendors you are going to pay for purchased services or equipment rentals.  The vendor completes the W-9 and indicates their name shown on their tax return, their business name (if different from that which they use on the tax return), the federal tax classification (i.e, the “type” of business or company they are), their address, their tax id number, and a few other things. 

You will only need to report payments made to vendors which check the Individual/sole proprietor or single-member LLC box OR the partnership box in Line 3.  The diagram below shows both applicable boxes checked for your reference, but a vendor would actually choose only one box from the entire Line 3 options.

What if I rent equipment (like a bounce house or other inflatable) from a company that is a C-corporation?  Do I report the payment as a rental? No.  Even though you paid for a rental, you do not report the payment because the company is a corporation.  You only need to report payments made to Individual/sole proprietors, single-member LLCs or partnerships.   

What if I make a payment for a DJ to an LLC that is classified as an S Corporation?  Should that be reported as a payment to a non-employee for a purchased service? No.  Once again, even though you are paying for a purchased service that might otherwise require a 1099, this DJ works for an LLC classified as an S Corporation.  That classification eliminates the need to issue a 1099 to this vendor. 

My PTO is buying t-shirts for $800 from a vendor that is a sole proprietor.  Should that be reported for 1099 purposes? No.  You are not paying for a purchased service or equipment rental.  The amount of the purchase and the fact that the vendor is a sole proprietor is irrelevant because you are buying items and not paying for services or equipment rental. 

My booster club is paying to have the baseball dugout repainted.  The painter provided a quote and invoice that is all-inclusive of paint, supplies and labor.  The painter is a sole proprietor.  Should that be reported for 1099 purposes? Yes.  The painter is a sole proprietor and is providing a contracted service, both of which are criteria for 1099 issuance.  The full amount of the invoice would be reported. 

Using the same example above, what if the painter provides a bill that breaks out the labor cost separate from the paint and supplies? In this scenario, the only amount to report for the vendor is the amount for the labor.  The paint and supplies cost are not reportable.  Since the painter split the costs out on the invoice, you are obligated to report only the labor and not the full cost for the job. 

I thought 1099s were issued only if the amount paid is $600 or more for services or rentals.  I only paid a qualified vendor $249.  Do I have to report this? Yes, you must report amounts paid to qualified vendors (Individual/sole proprietors, single-member LLCs or partnerships), regardless of the amount your PTO or booster group paid.  The information is required for aggregate calculations by CSB Administration, meaning that the CSB will tally ALL payments made to a vendor to determine if the $600 threshold is met and a 1099 must be issued. 

Where do I find the template, so I can begin tracking information now, rather than waiting until the last minute next January? Navigate to the Forms and Documents page on the Chandler School Booster website at  Alternatively, go to Chandler School Booster website: Once at the home page, click on MENU at the top of the page to access the menu options.  On the Menu screen, select Forms and Documents.   

On the left side of the screen, select 1099 Instructions to view or download instructions for completing the 1099 template. Select 1099 Template to download the template and begin entering the required information.  At this time, you may disregard the reference to 2019; the template and instructions are not anticipated to change for 2019.  The website link and document titles will be updated at a later time. 

Will I be required to submit a copies of the Form W-9 that I obtain from vendors? Yes, new in 2020 is a requirement to submit copies of the W-9s you obtain from vendors.  Please save the W-9s throughout the year and be prepared to scan and email them at the time the template is submitted next January.